[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: GPL Liscensing on New Release: What Gives?

> As an aside, this is different from what the FSF requires developers
> of GNU projects to do: they require those developers to assign their
> copyright to the FSF, preventing them from doing what I just described.

This is getting somewhat far afield from the oskit's licensing issues.

But to correct Godmar a little: the FSF asks authors to sign a copyright
assignment contract transferring copyright ownership to the FSF; this
contract includes the following clause:

     Upon thirty days' prior written notice, the Foundation agrees to grant me
  non-exclusive rights to use the Program as I see fit; (and the Foundation's
  rights shall otherwise continue unchanged).

This is part of a binding contract made between the author and the Free
Software Foundation.  So the author can use the code he contributed later
in whatever ways he chooses, free or not; he just cannot revoke the FSF's
right to distribute the original code to others under a free license.

In short, the copyright assignment contracts the FSF uses are meant to
legally ensure the FSF's clear legal right to distribute the code under a
GPL-like license in perpetuity, not to restrict the author's rights to
distribute the same code under other license.