[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Kernel boot

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 progressmtshali@pmsc.com wrote:

> I'm running R.H. Linux 5.0 and recently re-built and installed OSKit 0.97.
> Besides minor problems, everything compiled and installed fine (as far as I
> could tell). I built the sample 'hello' kernel. I put the zImage in the root. I
> added an entry in lilo.conf and ran lilo. However, when I try to boot it, the
> system hangs.

<snip>

> Any suggestions?

I ran into identical troubles trying to boot anything under Linux with
mklinuximage. It was suggested (by one of the nice people at cs.utah)
that I try using the GRUB boot-loader instead. It worked fine - so I
suggest that you use that. I found the documentation on how to use GRUB
unclear, so if you want to see something work quickly then just do the
following --

grab the file grub-floppy.gz from
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~peterr/grub.html

gunzip it.

copy it onto a floppy disk with
'cat grub-floppy > /dev/fd0'

then stick the floppy in and reboot. and you should get a kernel to boot.

in order to boot your own kernels, you just need to copy the kernel onto
the floppy disk (which contains an ext2fs, so you should be able to just
mount it and do 'cp hello /floppy'), and edit the file
'boot/grub/menu.lst' that is on the floppy.

I hope that explanation is enough for you to get something going.

good luck

peter rickwood

****

PS: If you want to get GRUB v0.5 yourself rather than relying on the
floppy image I gave earlier, then you can get it from

ftp://ftp.flux.cs.utah.edu/flux/others/grub-0.5.tar.gz

PPS: GPL rules ;-)