[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Booting oskit from linear flash

>If you don't have a bios to help, then you can use linear flash memory and
>send the initial chip select to the flash device.  However, one would have
>to write some custom software to configure the system before loading a
>boot sector loader like lilo.

Hey... the things is diskless... why would he want to load a bootsector ?

If I understood correctly, he wants to put his whole kernel in the flash
memory and just have it work from that.  All you need in order to get it
kickstarted is a little piece of code that does a memory count, gets the
processor into pmode, and passes the multiboot structure onto the kernel.
Or have I forgotten something ?

Ramon

---
Ramon van Handel   <vhandel@chem.vu.nl>
Chemistry Student, OS Programmer and all-round Weirdo
The ant has made himself illustrious / Through constant industry industrious.
So what? Would you be calm and placid / If you were full of formic acid?
(Ogden Nash)