[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NetBoot problem

> Hi,
>
> I succeeded to start NetBoot.  Thanks!!
>
> Now NetBoot sees the network, but it dies saying "Bootp didn't give me
> all I want".  It looks like I did not configure bootpd in the server
> correctly, but I cannot figure out the problem ... so let me ask.

> bootpd: info(6):   vendor magic field is 0.0.0.0

> .default:\
>         :sm=255.255.255.128:\
>         :hd=/export/client/root:bf=netbsd:\
>         :ds=141.211.92.141:\
>         :ns=141.211.92.141:\
>         :nt=141.211.92.141:\
>         :gw=141.211.92.129:
>
> charlie:tc=.default:ht=ethernet:ha=00a0241d3794:ip=141.211.92.137:

> Any advice??

                required_flags = (BOOTP_NET_IP |
                                  BOOTP_NET_NETMASK |
                                  BOOTP_NET_GATEWAY |
                                  BOOTP_NET_HOSTNAME);

The client doesn't think that it is getting all the fields it
needs.  You can add a printf in oskit/boot/net/driver.c to see
what fields it thinks it is missing.

You probably just need to add ":vm=rfc1048:\" in the config file,
as that is the magic cookie used to check the vendor-specific
fields for a few of the `extended' entries, such as the netmask.
You might want to also set the domain name (dn).

[Yes, we are planning on updating the bootp code to deal with
newer RFCs, but what we have now works, so it isn't the highest
priority.]

> By the way, all I want to do is to create a kernel which checks
> integrity of another kernel, and boots it from a hard disk.  My plan
> is as follows.
> 1. Install NetBoot.
> 2. Modify NetBoot to read kernel image from a HD.
> However, step 1 seems fairly tough ... is there simpler way of making
> a kernel which boots another kernel from a HD?

Step 1 is *supposed* to be easy.  Step 2 is the hard one.  But
there should be enough support code in the OSKit to get you started.
You might want to look at the source code for other bootloaders,
such as one of the BSDs and Grub.

I hope this helps.

Kevin T. Van Maren
University of Utah, CSL