[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help with GRUB

Geoff White wrote:
> I take it that I can copy a kernel image onto a floopy, I'm using FreeBSD
> as a development platform.What is the right way to get the image onto the
> floppy?
> What else should go on the floppy?
> Is the file system on the floppy a FAT or some other format?

You can use whatever filesystem GRUB supports (FFS, EXT2FS, ...),
or just write it with dd and note the sectors -- GRUB can load
that too.

> Do I need to put some part of GRUB (stage 2) on the kernel floppy?

Well, you have to boot somehow, so the answer is `probably yes'.
GRUB allows you to leave stage two on the hard drive, but I don't
think that makes much sense.

> What would the stand alone command be to boot the kernel image off of a
> floppy?

Something like `kernel=(fd0)64+4000' `boot' will do, but I
certainly made up the numbers out of blue. If you have a
filesystem on your floppy, you can use `(fd0)/kernel' as an
address. All this is described in GRUB documentation.

> Is there a way I can boot the kernel image straight from the FreeBSD
> partition?

Yes. GRUB supports FFS.

--
Drive^H^Hnk safely!