[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Running OSKit in Linux user mode

Rob Savoye has been quoted as saying:
>   Here's where I'd like to be able to to run Nilo as a Linux task,
> yet have it talking to the ethernet hardware. I managed to get
> unix_support.o to build, and I built the libfreebsd.a. (on Linux) I
> just haven't been able to get the unix examples to build to the
> point they'll run...

     Getting the oskit 0.97 unix user-mode code to run on Linux is
straightforward but not trivial.  However, you won't have to fix it
since the last snapshot of the oskit includes the changes necessary to
run on Linux!  You can find the snapshot at:

	ftp://flux.cs.utah.edu/flux/oskit/oskit-990402.tar.gz

     or at the main oskit page:

	http://www.cs.utah.edu/projects/flux/oskit/

>   So after scouring the docs, I thought I'd see if there is any
> accumulated info on how to do this. Also any pointers on how to use
> the device driver framework would be great, although I'm figuring I
> can pull that out of the netboot sources.

     We added a new section to the documentation about this.  Look at
doc/unix-support.tex in the snapshot, hopefully it will be able to
answer some of your questions.

steve

--
// stephen clawson				sclawson@cs.utah.edu