[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Another newbie question...

Groman wrote:
 This maybe the most dumbest question you ever heard because it is supposed to be obvious,but what the heckwhen I compile a kernel with gcc and oskit under linux,and then boot, does the oskit insert protected mode init code automatically(somewhere from the startup library)or is for example hello world kernel real mode?

Every modern OS is in protected mode.  Many OSKIT drivers come from linux/freebsd,
which are PM OSes.  Moreover, GCC produces 32-bit code, it would take some hacks
to produce realmode code with it !  (it's supposed to be possible by inserting
asm(".code16") at the top of your source files, but even then it doesn't sound
trivial.)

All in all, I think that if you want to write a realmode OS you're in the wrong
place.

Ramon