[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Another newbie question...

> I didn't ask about, that...sorry, if I wasn't clear
> I asked if OSkit entered the pmode itself by insertings
> startup code into my program..
> but from what you said I guess that's true.  thanx.

No... at least, I don't think it is.  I don't use the OSKit myself,
so I'm not quite sure what the latest developments are, but the
old version relied on you haveing a multiboot-compatible bootloader,
such as GRUB.  The multiboot standard specifies that the processor
is in protected mode at the kernel entry point... so in fact,
the bootloader does the PM setup for you.

> by the way? I tried booting the linux_fs_com demo kernel
> but it can't find my floppy drive...
> I tried fd0 sd0 everything as drive and I have no idea what
> to put into partition name... it still says device not found...
> any ideas?

Sorry... the OSKit gurus on this list will have to help you with
that :)

Ramon