[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

X client support in the OSKit [really]

This is actually about the subject of the message, which was never
answered.  Our X guy is away, and I was too.

	Lo and behold, yaoyyuan@263.net once said:

	> I have used oskit building Kaffe successfully. But it can not run
	> Xwindow. So I want to build a kernel of Xwindow by oskit. How can I do?
	>
	> Yu yao

	   X windows will not run under the oskit for local display.  The
	possibility exists that you could have it display remotely by linking
	against the X libs, but you'd have to compile your own Xlibs to do so.
	I'm not sure if anyone has done it.

It just works, and works fine!  Well, it used to anyway-- probably last tested
in release 0.97. It's even documented; see
	http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/oskit/doc/node928.html

Here's what that says:
    Video support is currently a three-way mishmash and it's incomplete,
    but it provides useful services for some popular boards.

    The first way provides the XFree86 S3 driver and its normal XFree86
    interface, along with a few other functions.

    The second way provides the VGA portion of the well known ``Svgalib''
    library for Linux.

==> The third way for OSKit kernels to access video (and the keyboard and
    mouse) is via X11 client support. Through this support OSKit kernels
    can interact (like any other X client) with remote machines running an
    X server. In the x11/client source directory we provide patches
    against both the stock XFree86 X11R6.3 and XConsortium X11R6.3
    distributions, along with helper functions specific to the OSKit. See
    the README's there.

Excerpt from the README.clientdiffs file:
     The patches were made against XFree86 3.3.2.  They also apply
     cleanly to XFree86 3.3.1.  They almost apply cleanly to the stock
     X11R6.3 sources, but there are enough differences that there's a
     patch included for them specifically.