[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: OSKit and processes

>Jay Lepreau wrote:
>
>> The OSKit would provide the needed infrastructure for such
>> a SASOS but be warned that this stuff is complicated and
>> you'd best do some reading and studying of others' code first.
>
>The big problem from my point of view is the linking, both normal
>and with shared libraries.
>
>Shared libraries in a SASOS get very ugly. If the OS is a strict
>SASOS, then the data segment also must be shared (and we all know
>the problems with this). Have you seen any solutions for this
>problem in a strict-SASOS ?
>
>Also implementing the fork(2) system call can be a heavy task,
>but there's "ways" around this (by just implementing the popen
>routine).

I might be forgetting something basic here, but what's wrong with the
traditional C-O-W approach ?  Being a SASOS doesn't mean you can't
use paging (though that is of course a possibility, it makes everything
a lot more complicated though), it just means that you use segments for
protection in stead of separate address spaces.

Ramon