[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

More Moronic Monologue. =Z

Okay I spent about a month and a half reeding or at least skimming the
documentation on oskit. I still don't get it. =/ It doesn't seem to document the
demo kernels... Nor does it give bibliographical reffs to materials that I
should get to learn how to program well enough to actually use the thing. =\
Source code is relatively inaccessable to me because *ALL* unix editors suck
really really hard. It seems that it was designed to work well with BSD. (which
I don't have the bandwidth to download, nor do I like its disk allocation
scheme). I would use MINIX but its filesystem gets corrupted on my drive. (all
filesystems have been getting corrupted on my drive.) =( What I need is a
document entitled "compiling and debugging operating systems for stupid jerry
cumoquats".

Some chapters in that book should be:
"Debugging your driver without de-dataing your drive"
"object files are fun"
"How to get a start in operating system programming"
"When your kernel panics; don't"
"The Zen of API design"
"The Twelve Labors of the operating sysetm coder; a clear concice list for
people who don't have a clue"
"Bootstrap 2001: A computer odesy" < I can help write this one
"101 Things you should know already and Why real programmers snicker at you when
you ask reasonable questions"
"Writing reusable code for OS programmers"
etc etc....

The only thing I have driving me forward is that I am running windows 3.11 and I
hate it.

Ugh... I am finally beginning to face my filesystem (which I have ignored untill
now....) FUN! =\ Anyone know the calling convention of GCC so I can link in asm?
How do I get GCC to talk to the page tables? HOW SHOULD A STUPID DUMBASS SUCH AS
MYSELF KNOW HOW IN BLUE BLAZES TO GET GCC AND LD TO TALK TO EACH OTHER WELL
ENOUGH TO CREATE AN OBJECT WITH EXACTLY THE RIGHT ENTRY POINTS???? I am not even
trying for a custom format like I had before, I think I can get ELF to work....
=\

--
"I think; therefore I have no access to to the level where I sum."
                                        - Hofstadter

users.erols.com/alangrimes/

Follow-Ups: References: