[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Problem with ethernet drivers in 19991124 `Butterball'

>> ethernet card. I've tried the netboot kernel with all drivers, and
>> with just particular drivers (we have etherlink3 and ne2000 cards).
>> I always get `no Ethernet adaptor found!'.
>
>	Yes, you are right, ne driver of oskit doesn't work.
>	I don't know why, but I port ne.c file from linux and
>	by some changes, it works now.
>	its attached to this mail. copy it
>	(oskit)/linux/src/drivers/net/ne.c
>--taghi

Actually, with the latest snapshot (20000202 ``Groundhog''), my problems
with the new linux drivers have gone away, as has the need for patching to
build with the newest gcc and binutils.

A big thanks to the OSKit team!

Netboot now works fine again, on both ne2000 and etherlink3 boards.

My latest troubles concern the via-rhine ethernet chipset. The driver
via-rhine.c is not in the OSKit directory linux/src/drivers/net/, but
it is part of linux 2.2. I copied it over and built it without trouble.
The driver also announces itself and recognises the chip when initialised.
But, shortly after I get:

 lmm_alloc.c:44: failed assertion `(node->next == 0) || (node->next > node)'

which looks like a memory corruption problem. I don't get this with the
other two ethernet drivers, so it looks like the driver is misbehaving.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?
Is there actually a good reason why the OSKit includes realatively few
of the linux 2.2 ethernet drivers?

Thanks,
Ian