[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: booting from eeprom

> From: friedt jean-michel <friedtj@imec.be>
> Subject: booting from eeprom
> Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:58:14 +0100
>
> I remember from the previous discussion that a booloader is required
> before getting the oskit to run. I suppose that grub is the most
> common bootloader for this task. So what does grub do before calling
> the oskit entry point ? anything else but switching the intel CPU to
> protected mode (which I believe can be done in much less space than
> grub, considering I do no wish to use all the functionalities of
> grun). Would it be hard to implement the bootlader part in the
> oskit itself ?

The OSKit conforms to the "Multiboot Spec", of which Grub is one example of
a bootloader that can load multiboot compliant images. NILO is another
example, and the OSKit's own netboot and OFWboot are others.

For a discussion of the OSKit and Multiboot, check out this section of the
OSKit documentation:

  http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/oskit/html/oskit-wwwch15.html#x24-163900015.14

Lbs

Leigh B. Stoller
University of Utah - Flux Research Group
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~stoller