[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Request for suggestions

Voon-Li Chung wrote:
> yet the OSkit version is many times slower (subjectively, 1 order of
> magnitude). I know that I haven't provided very much information, but has
> anyone come across this problem before? Could my heavy use of malloc et al
> be causing the slowdown?

You have probably hit the nail on the head.  The OSKit's malloc is
pretty slow.  You might try using the FreeBSD C library (I think,
someone from Utah should correct me if I'm wrong...).  Also, you can
build the OSKit with --enable-profiling to get a gprof dump of where
the time is being spent.  Look at CH 29 (egad!) of the manual.

-Pat

Pat Tullmann                                       tullmann@cs.utah.edu
	 This bit of signature was randomly selected. Really.

Follow-Ups: References: