[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Kaffe & Oskit

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Patrick Tullmann wrote:

> > I'm working on getting the current version of OSKit playing nicely
> > with Kaffe.  I have Kaffe configured and compiled with OSKit, but
> > the images resulting from running mkimage.sh are upwards of 4 meg,
> > which is unbootable.
>
> What is the error you're seeing?  I've booted 12Mb multiboot images
> before.  You need to use a multiboot-compliant boot loader (i.e., GRUB
> or NetBoot).  If you try to build LILO-compatible images it definetly
> won't work.  LILO just doesn't do that.

Ah, LILO would be the problem then.  That'd do it.  : )

> > Are the kernel images actually supposed to be that huge?
>
> They're supposed to be bigger! :) They've got to have all the Kaffe
> class files in them.  So, depending on the version of Kaffe, there
> should be like 7 or 8 MB of class files.  (Unless you stripped the
> useless ones out or put them somewhere besides your boot image.)

Actually I just tried that and it didn't help much.  *grin*

> Which version of Kaffe and OSKit are you using?  I don't think we've
> used Kaffe/OSKit together in a long time (our JVM which is forked from
> Kaffe has been used on the OSKit quite a bit, though).

I'm using the Kaffe snapshot on the OSKit site (from 2000-09-04), and the
most recent OSKit release (Valentines day).  Took about an hour to get the
include paths to work, but wasn't all that bad.

Thanks for the quick response.

-Titus