[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sphere

Here is my 2 cents.

At Oregon Institute of Technology, we are wrapping up an OS course based on
the OSKit libraries. Let me put an emphasis on LIBRARIES. With OSKit, YOU
must build the kernel. OSKit provides a set of utilities to help in the
building of kernels, but in order to do this, you must know what it is you
want to build, then, as I am sure all of my students from this quarter will
attest, be willing to get down and very dirty in code (even assembler) to
understand what is going on.

Getting code to the point of having a bootable entry point is a monumental
task. OSKit has already done this for you. You do not need to spend months
researching the Intel X86 processor to do this. This, in itself, is worth
it's bits in gold. Cheers to the OSKit developers!

Everybody in the course was at least able to get the examples to boot. Many
of these students have little experience developing in a UNIX based
environment. We got projects from virtual terminals, to thread schedulers,
to file system managers, to a working 4GByte virtual memory manager.

A tip for you. Get the Mandrake 8.0 release and install it and the GRUB
bootloader (if you are doing stand-alone development). This will allow you
to compile the OSKit in native mode, then load the kernels directly as
multiboot images.

Good luck.