[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: can flux oskit help me do vesa stuff?

> Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 15:02:37 -0600 (CST)
> To: oskit-users@fast.cs.utah.edu
> Subject: can flux oskit help me do vesa stuff?
> From: Timmy Douglas <tdouglas@home.com>

> the problem is that i think i need to be in real mode or v86 mode to
> do this, and i don't think gcc will let me output that kind of code
> anyways. I'm pretty sure grub leaves me in protected mode when it runs
> the kernel so i was wondering if this flux oskit has a small library
> that would let me call this interrupt manually like int86x() does in
> <dos.h> that i see everywhere. and i'd rather not have to write
> the whole thing in asm.
>

> so i looked through the 500 page documentation and i found this:
>
> 15.10 (X86) Base Environment: Protected-mode entry and exit
>

> but it's an empty page!
>
> can anyone tell me what i need to do or where to go for help?

Yeah, the documentation isn't much help there.

A couple of routines are documented under the libkern section:

	i16_enter_pmode()
	i16_leave_pmode()

One place to look would be in the boot/pxe subdirectory which contains
the code for a PXE (network) boot loader.  That kernel has to go into
real mode to invoke PXE ROM functions, so there is some code in there
to handle that.