[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Compiling OS KIt Kernles

	the example kernles have worked fine, but now that I've started to
	write my own The reson I can't figure it out is that, I'm embassed
	to admit it, I can't grok makefiles.

Those who fully understand GNU make are not so common-- I suspect you
have company!  I admit we have an unfair advantage since the author,
Roland McGrath, works for the Flux project.

I suggest just developing in the examples/x86 directory (or
examples/x86/extended if you use the Freebsd C lib, or
extended/x86/threads is you use threads) and cloning an existing
working GNUmakerules entry, then modifying it in the obvious way for
your test program (name, libs).  If you don't know anything about
"make" at all... well, you'd better learn a bit before trying to
develop kernels.  Read the first chapter or so of the GNU make manual,
or there are probably numerous tutorials around.

Note that GNUmakerules is processed at build time, not configure time,
so you don't have to reconfigure after hacking it.