[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First test... 4 ways of booting OSKit

I tried the following 4 ways of booting OSKit.

1) Using etherboot.  http://www.slug.org.au/etherboot
    As the name suggests, this toolkit uses an ethernet. You can
    either create a bootdisk, or create a bootprom image and put
    it into a network card. (In my case, I burn the image into a
    Intel 82559 based NIC).
    The advantage is that you can test a new kernel quickly.
    The disadvantage is that you must have TWO pc and ethernet.
    (I love this method because it saves me a lot of time when
    I test the Linux kernel. If you also want to try the linux
    kernel, yard http://www.croftj.net/~fawcett/yard/ is another
    helpful tool.)

2)  Using grub.
3)  Using lilo.
4)  Using loadlin.
    Loadlin boots the kernel from a dos partition.
    This method does not make much sense. If you are curious
    you can try. Note that the oskit kernel image made using
    mklinuximage may NOT boot successfuly with loadlin.
    It says there is a problem with setup.S. One solution is
    to treat the oskit kernel as a big-zipped linux image
    and add the Linux bootsect & setup.
    Note: This trick only works with loadlin and won't work
    with lilo or etherboot.

Any other booting methods?

IMHO, booting is not very closely related to OS kernel. So just choose
a method that best suits you. Working with the kernel is most important.

>Now here comes the 2 questions 1. Is there
>any posible way to run the kernel without grub or I'm just loosing my
>time?
>
>Facundo

>pd2: DOS part still doesn't work?

Li Dekai