[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First test... 4 ways of booting OSKit

Lo and behold, Li Dekai once said:

> I tried the following 4 ways of booting OSKit.
>
> 1) Using etherboot.  http://www.slug.org.au/etherboot
> [...]
> 2)  Using grub.
> 3)  Using lilo.
> 4)  Using loadlin.
>
> Any other booting methods?

   Netboot (which is, itself, an oskit kernel).  It's what we use to boot
our oskit kernels here, and it has the same advantages you list for
etherboot.  You still have to get netboot booted, of course;  we have it
loaded by the BSD boot adaptor here, but you can also boot it from grub
(and, perhaps, lilo?  I haven't tried. :-)

   I'm not sure if this qualifies as "another", but it's pretty convenient
anyway and deserves a plug while we're discussing it.

   For creating kernels for netboot, use 'mkmbimage' to create a multiboot
image, same as you would with grub.

   -Dave

--
work: danderse@cs.utah.edu                     me:  angio@pobox.com