[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

No Subject

> From: Mohmod Taghizade <taghi@hadid.sharif.ac.ir>
>
> 	I want to define a system call in a oskit-kernel-example. I want
> 	to know how to define it and also How can I run a server in user
> 	mode. Can I run one of oskit examples kernel in user mode?

I'm not sure I understand the first part, so lets start with the second
part. You can build many oskit kernels against a utility library (see the
oskit/unix directory) that provides the glue needed to run oskit kernels in
user mode on Freebsd and Linux. You can even gdb them. Of course, you can
only do so much in user mode, so much of the device and other hardware
stuff is defined away, but you can test a fair amount of stuff this way.
Take a look at the examples/unix directory. There are makefiles in that
tree that build a number of oskit example kernels (from examples/x86/*)
against the unix library. Take note of the differences in how programs are
linked for running as a unix process.

As for the first part. A basic oskit kernel (of the type provided in the
examples tree) has no system call interface; everything runs in supervisor
mode. Perhaps you can tell us what you are thinking so we have a better
chance of steering you in the proper direction.

Lbs

Leigh B. Stoller                     Computer Science - Flux Research Group
stoller@cs.utah.edu                  University of Utah
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~stoller      Salt Lake City, Utah 84112
Voice: (541) 758-6252                FAX: (801) 585-3743