[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: how to emulate on Linux

>   I am trying to design an os of mine.Do I have to boot the machine
> every time I make some modification to my code? or I can use the
> emulation tools to run it and test the correctness? If I can
> emulate, how can I make it?

OSKit/UNIX mode should be useful to you.  You can't test everything
(like interrupt handlers, and other low-level details), but you can
test lots of higher-level stuff.  For details on what you can and
can't do, read the manual:
http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/oskit/html/oskit-wwwch18.html#x30-185200018

Also, look at the unix-mode examples (examples/unix/GNUmakerules) and
see how they get built.

For testing the low-level bits of an OS, VMware is probably the second
best choice (after having a dedicated machine).  I know that some
OSKit users have used VMware, so you should be able to get it to work.

-Pat

Pat Tullmann                                       tullmann@cs.utah.edu
     To understand recursion one must first understand recursion.