[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Use of netboot disks

> I'm currently providing them with their IP address, default gateway,
> hostname, netmask and domain name, but when the netboot kernel boots
> up, it says "bootp didn't give me all I want". I was wondering what
> else it needs from the bootp server?

The code is in the oskit: oskit/boot/net/driver.c.

		required_flags = (BOOTP_NET_IP |
				  BOOTP_NET_NETMASK |
				  BOOTP_NET_GATEWAY |
				  BOOTP_NET_HOSTNAME);
		if ((bpi.flags & required_flags) != required_flags) {
#define MISSING(flag, name) if ((bpi.flags & flag) == 0) \
			printf("bootp did not supply %s\n", name)
			MISSING(BOOTP_NET_IP, "my IP address");
			MISSING(BOOTP_NET_NETMASK, "my netmask");
			MISSING(BOOTP_NET_GATEWAY, "gateway address");
			MISSING(BOOTP_NET_HOSTNAME, "my hostname");
#undef	MISSING

It sounds like you're giving it all it wants so maybe you're not
configuring bootp correctly.  Depending on your inclination, you could
check what's happening by running tcpdump or by building your own copy
of netboot and inserting a call to bootp_dump (see oskit/bootp/dump.c).

--
Alastair

ps Note that this code obviously generates a slightly different error
from the one you report.  Those lines of code were last updated
30/March/1999 so I suspect either:

1) You're using an old copy of netboot (or OSKit).
2) Perhaps the copies we distribute on the web page are out of date?
   I think we added that page about a year ago so this is quite possible.

Follow-Ups: References: